R 24: Jack Wells
1949 R 24 #200247
247cc M224/1 Single Cylinder 12 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Lake City, Florida
In the immediate aftermath of World War II, BMW’s Munich factory built kitchen equipment, then bicycles before the Allies granted BMW permission to build a 250cc motorcycle in 1947. Lacking engineering drawings, Alfred Böning’s team disassembled a prewar R 23 to create the R 24. The bike was updated with many of the features of the military R 75, and it became a huge success following its debut at Hanover in May 1948.
For more pictures and information on this or any other vehicle in the Motorcycles exhibit, check out the exhibition book in our store!