R 27: BMW NA Classic
1966 BMW R 27 #386425
247cc M226/2 Single Cylinder 18 hp @ 7,400 rpm
BMW NA Classic
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
BMW’s singles had undergone continuous refinements since the R 24 launched in 1949, getting rear suspension by 1950 and a new chassis with Earles forks in 1956. In 1960, the R 27 brought a stouter frame and a rubber-mounted engine mounted to reduce vibration. Though slower and more expensive than British or Italian singles, the R 27 found favor with off-road riders like American John Penton, who rode one in the 1965 International Six Days Enduro. The bike seen here was imported by Butler & Smith with the high handlebars and dual seat preferred by US customers.
For more pictures and information on this or any other vehicle in the Motorcycles exhibit, check out the exhibition book in our store!