R 35: Jack Wells
1939 R 35 #226837
342cc M69/235 Single Cylinder 14 hp @ 3,500 rpm
Lake City, Florida
In 1937, BMW discontinued the 300cc R 3 and 400cc R 4 singles in favor of the 340cc R 35. Using the pressed-steel frame updated with telescopic forks, the bike proved ideal for use with a sidecar, or in police/military applications. Built first in Munich and later in Eisenach, the R 35 remained in production even after the Eisenach factory was appropriated by the Soviets in 1945. The unrestored bike seen here was built in Munich, though it was later fitted with a transmission built in Eisenach and stamped “EMW.”
For more pictures and information on this or any other vehicle in the Motorcycles exhibit, check out the exhibition book in our store!