R 51/3: Lane Motor Museum
1952 R 51/3 #527840
494cc M252/1 Boxer Twin 24 hp @ 5,800 rpm
Lane Motor Museum
In 1950, barely a year after R 24 singles started rolling off the line, BMW launched the R 51/2—essentially a prewar R 51 updated by Alfred Böning. A year later, the R 51/3 brought an all-new engine with a magneto ignition and a gear-driven oil pump; the engine would provide the basis for all BMW boxer engines through 1969. An all-new frame used front forks with hydraulic compression and rebound damping as well as the seal-protecting rubber boots developed by Alex von Falkenhausen for the wartime R 75.
For more pictures and information on this or any other vehicle in the Motorcycles exhibit, check out the exhibition book in our store!